Are Farmers being Paid to destroy crops?

Home Forums Empty Shelves – Where Can I Find XYZ Are Farmers being Paid to destroy crops?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      minisliceoffarmminisliceoffarm
      Keymaster

If you are a farmer or are in the farming industry please share your personal experiences! Thank you! Farmer

NaomiNaomi
      Participant

I mean. If they are claiming insurance due to an anticipated poor yield they can’t harvest. Or if they are in a co-OP like most dairy and they have a surplus they will get paid to dump to control prices.

Anonymous
      Inactive

There’s a fact check article on snopes dot com explaining why this is all false

TyraWittLambertTyraWittLambert
      Participant

I know a lot of local farmers have had a bad year. Floods followed by drought. I would hope that if they are getting paid it’s only because they had no crops to send to market. We need our farmers and not many realize how important they are.

TraceyTracey
      Participant
      TraceyTracey
      Participant

I don’t have a reply button so I will say it here. Snopes.com is only a man and his wife giving their opinions. They were on 20/20 or 60 minutes and they just give their opinions. They admitted they have no evidence to back it up.

yarrowyarrow
      Participant

From the Peterson Farm Brothers on Facebook on destroying crops.
      https://www.facebook.com/PetersonFarmBros/videos/344018297428075

JustASmithJustASmith
      Participant

Yes. Agricultural producers are being paid to destroy crops.

However, this is not a new practice.

Remember when the dairy industry had such a surplus, that dairy farmers were literally pouring milk down the drains, due to closed brick and mortar schools, and restaurants? Those producers were compensated for that loss.

Now, when we start talking about row crops and such, yes. The same does happen. Many times the Fed government will basically financially incentivize destroying crops. To where the producer is paid more money to destroy the field, than they would receive for that product at market.

We produce pecans and lamb. Pecans are an every other year crop, and I can personally attest that our USDA service center contacted us in late spring, that the federal government would subsidize our pecan harvest, if we did not sell to the open market. Now, we typically do not. We are a very small producer, only around 8-10,000 pounds. We did not take the payment, because we don’t sell to the market. Our nuts are sold to a local pecan facility.

On the sheep end, we also are a small producer, and sell locally. We haven’t experienced being asked not to market our lamb/mutton.

I don’t fully understand the reasoning behind it. I think it has something to do with stabilizing the prices of commodities on the open market – to not be as reactive to actual crop production. Meaning, if corn has a great year nationwide, and is in abundance, that would cause the prices of corn to fall. Corn, especially, is almost in EVERYTHING from fuel, to plastics, to junk foods. However, if a portion of that corn is destroyed, and never enters the market, then the available bushels are somehwat consistent from year to year, and thereby stabilizes the price. That’s my THEORY.

CeliaCelia
      Participant

My relative is a crop consultant. He advises farmers regarding fertility and pest control. He and his coworkers are in contact with hundreds of farmers. I’ve asked him
      several times if he’s heard anything about this and each time he has said no. He works in California, so if this is happening in other parts of the USA, he would not know. Like others have mentioned, there are times when farmers are paid if there is a surplus or if something happened to their crop, but he has not heard of any farmers being paid to destroy their crops like what is being portrayed by some on social media.

deidracoxdeidracox
      Participant

in the video, the one guy said a couple things that weren’t true, for one, the material he was showing that he claimed he’d just received from the government was dated January 2018, i stopped the video and saw the date, another flaw, he claimed the government department of Hydrocarbons contacted him? there is no such department.

one thing i think we need to remember just because someone posts a video and says they’re a farmer burning their crops or what ever, doesn’t mean they’re being truthful. i could make a video and say i’m a fairy princess, it won’t make me one.

MessyMrsMessyMrs
      Participant

I just wanted to share a link to Snopes about us page since someone mentioned it was just a guy and his wife. There is an independent dedicated team, started by a husband and his wife. I think it’s important to have independent, non-big money funded fact checking. You can click around to see the names of the team, FAQs about their process, etc. https://www.snopes.com/about/

BlondieBlondie
      Participant

A couple of friends, local ranchers said they both got letters this week to plow their fields under. Not sure why. Mostly they grow grains.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.