Reusable Tattlers Canning Lids

Home Forums Canning Reusable Tattlers Canning Lids

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      PwebbPwebb
      Participant

I decided to give these a try this year as I am having a difficult time finding lids and it seems like the quality of Ball and Kerr lids keeps deteriorating. Does anyone have tips and tricks to using tattlers?

MullersLaneFarmMullersLaneFarm
      Participant

I’ve been using Tattler lids for over 15 years. If you buy the lids direct from Tattler then you will receive the E-Z Seal lids. (If you buy them from Amazon or Ebay or other place, you may buy the old style lids. There is an extra step you must do for the old style lids.)

First get it out of your head that there is a ‘learning curve’ to using these lids. If you do not over tighten your rings, then there is simply one extra step you must do after you remove the jars from the canner.

Before filling jars, bring a small pot of water to a boil and remove from heat. Place the gaskets in the hot water.

Fill all your jars leaving and additional 1/4″ headspace! i.e. if directions call for 1/4″ headspace, leave 1/2″. Clean rims.

Remove a gasket from the hot water, place it on the lid and place the lid & gasket on the jar making sure they are centered on the jar. I do this for all the jars, then put the rings on them.

Put ring on jar, place index finger on jar & twirl lid on. When the jar starts to move, the ring is tight enough.

Go about your canning instructions.

When canning time is up:

For waterbath items: remove jars from canner and let sit for 5 minutes.

For pressure canned items: after pressure has come down to 0, remove weight, unlock lid and let sit for 10 minutes with lid on canner. After 10 minutes remove jars from canner and let sit for 5 minutes.

Place towel over the jars (very important, especially for PC’d items!) and tighten rings. You don’t need to wrench it down, just tighten them.

Be careful when washing the gaskets that you do not stretch them.
      Store them in a bag away from sunlight and heat.

I’ve had to throw away less than 5 gaskets over the years. Some of my gaskets get used 2-4 times a years and I have some that have never been used.

Let me know if you have any questions, I’ll try to help.

PwebbPwebb
      Participant

Thank you so much for these very clear directions. I ordered direct from Tattler so I should be good to go!

Sue CouringtonSue Courington
      Participant

I love my Tattler lids and I hope you do too.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.