Subscribe to our YouTube channel and follow us on social media!!
This has been the month of soups, stews and comfort food!!! Fall is just a great time to sit back with a warm bowl of comfort food. After the Creamy Pot Pie Soup
last week we went back to our childhood to the ultimate comfort soup meal Tomato bisque and grilled cheese on fresh baked bread
I received soooo many requests for this tomato soup recipe so hope you love it as much as we do!!
**To Pin this recipe for later use the “Pin it” button at the end of the instruction section**
- 4 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 large shallot or 1/2 mild onion chopped
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1/4 cup sherry (optional)
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 fresh large (or equivalent small) basil leaves
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add onions and pinch of salt and cook until translucent, 5-7 minutes
- Add garlic and whole herbs with another pinch of salt and toss for 1 min
- Deglaze with the sherry
- Add broth and tomatoes
- Simmer over medium heat until tomatoes are easily mashed
- Mash tomatoes thoroughly with a potato masher
- Simmer another 5 minutes
- Press the soup through a fine sieve, stirring until all of the liquid is out of the pulp
- Stir in the cream
- Salt to taste and top with fresh cracked pepper
Some like a higher broth/tomato ratio.
We’re using heirloom tomatoes and I like to let them shine,
but you could go up to 4 cups broth here. I would increase the herbs
if increasing broth.
If the soup is not hot enough after adding cream, you can return to
medium heat, but don’t bring to a boil or it might break.