We LOVE steam canning in our Carey/Nesco canner. While steam canning was not actually part of the design of the Carey, we have adapted a method that uses the functions of the Carey to produce an all steam environment for steam canning. Watch our video to see it in action! We’ll also provide the written instructions below.Continue reading “Steam Canning”
- egg yolks
- salt, any kind as long as isn’t Iodized
- In a glass container add a 1/2 inch thick layer of salt.
- Use an egg to create divots in the salt for each egg yolk. Keeping them at least 1/2 inch apart.
- Separate eggs and place the yolks in the divots (do not use a punctured yolk for this).
- Cover the yolks with salt until you can’t see any yellow.
- Place the salt covered yolks in the refrigerator for 1 week to cure.
- Remove the yolks, dust off the salt and wrap the yolks in cheesecloth.
- Hang the yolks to dry, in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
- Once the yolks are firm and easy to grate, store them tightly covered in the refrigerator.
You can grate them anywhere you would add parmesan cheese
We’re so glad you’re here! We’ve got lots of yummy recipes and kitchen tips and tricks we’ve learned here on our mini slice of farm heaven. Grab a cup of your favorite beverage and enjoy!