- egg yolks
- salt, any kind as long as isn’t Iodized
- In a glass container add a 1/2 inch thick layer of salt.
- Use an egg to create divots in the salt for each egg yolk. Keeping them at least 1/2 inch apart.
- Separate eggs and place the yolks in the divots (do not use a punctured yolk for this).
- Cover the yolks with salt until you can’t see any yellow.
- Place the salt covered yolks in the refrigerator for 1 week to cure.
- Remove the yolks, dust off the salt and wrap the yolks in cheesecloth.
- Hang the yolks to dry, in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
- Once the yolks are firm and easy to grate, store them tightly covered in the refrigerator.
You can grate them anywhere you would add parmesan cheese