Are Truckers going on Strike? How will that effect us?

Home Forums Empty Shelves – Where Can I Find XYZ Are Truckers going on Strike? How will that effect us?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      minisliceoffarmminisliceoffarm
      Keymaster

If you are in the trucking industry please provide your experienced insight! Thank you Truckers

ChallengingDecadeChallengingDecade
      Participant

Not really, trucking strike. I spoke to my oldest daughter that orders items for a small retail shop and today they stated that there is a 25% increase in freight. Also sitting on the dock in China there is a bidding war (like the old wall street days before computer trading) for freight being shipped. Retailers are saying they are getting smaller items to fill a container of items that will make the most profit.

Participant

Also, spoke to my youngest daughter that is in manufacturing shipping, she stated that many LTL companies are not hiring drivers just using personnel they have to move shipments because in reality there is not enough freight to justify the cost of hiring.

NaomiNaomi
      Participant

I work in the industry as a salesperson. I’m not seeing anything planned with most of the drivers I’ve spoken to (in the us)

NaomiNaomi
      Participant

That being said, raw materials and imports through water logistics is not going well. It’s only getting worse. We are expecting to see the trucking industry “behind” the curve on supply for at least 2-4 more years in terms of production and trying to catch up to demand.

minisliceoffarmminisliceoffarm
        Keymaster

Wow!! That is great insight, thank you!

TraceyTracey
      Participant

It is not a large strike. The truckers in Australia are planning to shut down on August 31. That will be huge. Some of the truckers here in the US are planning to stand with them. The ones here that do participate will only be down for 24 hours. Most trucks will keep on rolling. Only some will stop.

My husband works for, lets say, red x freight and hasn’t heard anything about this. He doesn’t do anything w/ food, but it’s still in the business. There was talk about this last year also, and it never happened.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone really wants to risk their jobs at this point. Also, they are just so short of trucks and workers, they don’t NEED to stop work. Half the stuff can’t get delivered on a daily basis.

Dee7777Dee7777
      Participant

In AUSTRALIA truckers are going on strike today (Friday) and on Tuesday. We have ongoing lockdowns. 1/3 of Australia is currently in lockdown. The state I live in Victoria is currently in its 7th lockdown. We have states refusing entry from any other part of Australia even if you’re fully maxined.
      Truck stops are not allowed to sell meals to truckers. Truckers must get tested every 2 days to be able to deliver to some states. Some states are requiring truckers to be maxined in order to enter the state, while at the same time we have a huge Maxine shortage and a lot of people cannot get a booking to receive it for a few months. At the same time the truckers must keep working and are not allowed the time to que for hours on end to get tested. Most truckers that do interstate deliveries are in their trucks for days on end in order to get from the depot to their destination, example: Melbourne to Adelaide is a 2 day return trip, and those are 2 of the closest together cities, Melbourne to Brisbane is about a week or 2 trip, now made much longer due to constant testing and border ques.
      I fully support the trucker strikes.

SenecaSeneca
        Participant

I would totally support the AU strike too. I appreciate our truckers but if they need to take a stand, I can be inconvenienced.

Cbaguley13Cbaguley13
      Participant

My husband, who drives for an unmentioned company, sent me a link on the US one. It’s next month but like usual nothing will come of it.

Macca chookMacca chook
      Participant

I thought sos was moreso an usa group. Other usa groups im in claim not much will happen. But im hoping aussie truckies proceed. Even if they don’t, everything happening right now has caused a change in the air in fb groups etc. People have had enough.

purplejarJared
        Keymaster

SOS is based in the US but is an international group. We’ve go members from all parts of the world!

Participant
      TraceyTracey
      Participant

How do we post pics on here?

purplejarJared
        Keymaster

@Tracey this current software only allows pictures by link so the picture has to be hosted somewhere sharable. Click IMG in the controls above the textbox to link an image. We’re working on upgrades to allow uploading images…more to come on that

Raven BentleyRaven Bentley
      Participant

Being a trucker’s wife and also his trip planner I can say that the American truckers are not going to strike… a lot of what’s going on has to deal with what companies are not getting to make products we buy on the daily… Covid/mass shut downs really screwed the pooch on all peoples…there might not be a choice eventually, if product cant be made, that the truck wont have a choice but to sit because they wont have anything to deliver.. if that happens, there will be a mass rush to the stores, by the end of the 3rd day there will be nothing on the shelves, by the end of the week, there are going to be folks hunting down food, by the end of 2 weeks there will be people doing home invasions just looking for something to eat….it will not be safe at all to even think about going out at night even if its to let the dog go potty….believe it or not- THIS is what Im stocking up for! I’ve had the heads up that the loads for drivers is getting fewer and fewer so im trying to make sure my lil motel room is well stocked!

AhavaAhava
        Participant

@Raven Bently your correct. We were in Huntington Beach a few weeks ago and many ships were lined up waiting to get into the shopyard docks and as we passed by the shipyard nothing was moving. No cranes stacking the shipping containers up or down and no trucks arriving or departing. My husband and I both used to haul loads out of there and it would be bustling. Somethings certainly amiss.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.