So many of our favorite recipes call for cream of mushroom soup. This is my version of this soup with an optional adult twist at the end …
Scroll down to the bottom for the instructional video.
*Note* you can make a double batch of this soup and freeze, or dehydrate it for use in other recipes. Make sure to only use one cup of broth for the “condensed” version. Freeze it in large ice cube trays for an easy grab option, every cube is 1oz.
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- 2 cups broth or stock (for “condensed” soup only use 1 cup of broth, learn how to make your own here)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, I add this for the health benefits)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional, I add this for the health benefits)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Your favorite dry red wine (Optional, I add this for the yum benefits)
- In a warm pot on med-high heat, saute the onion with a pinch of salt and pepper in olive oil until translucent.
- Add mushrooms with another pinch of salt and pepper (we are layering in the flavors, adding a small amount of salt and pepper with every ingredient builds depth of flavor)
- When the mushrooms release their juices sprinkle in the herbs and spices. The mushrooms will absorb the juices with the herbs and spices.
- When the mushrooms have reabsorbed the juices make a well in the middle of the pot and add the butter and flour.
- Whisk the butter and flour together until its well incorporated then whisk in one cup of the broth.
- When its well incorporated stir in the last cup of broth. Bring up to a boil while stirring continuously.
- Add milk and bring back up to a slow simmer. Reduce heat to medium and stir until the desired consistency is reached (it will thicken the longer it simmers).
- Taste for seasoning (Careful it’s HOT). Add if needed.
- Ladle the soup into your favorite bowl and drizzle with a little red wine.