Growing up we always LOVED to see a pot wrapped up in a blanket in the dining room … it meant we were going to a party with yummy food!! This method is great if you need to cook your food on your way to a potluck or if you need to run out for a few hours but need food ready when you get home. It will keep your food HOT for up to 3hrs. As an added bonus you are using very little energy.
You can do this with plain rice (adding 1 Tbls of water per cup of rice) or follow my recipe below.
*The full steps are also in the video at the bottom of this post!!* Enjoy 🙂
- Large paper bag
- One thin tightly woven blanket (a doubled over sheet will also work)
- One thick blanket
- Bring pot up to medium low heat and add oil.
- Add Onion, salt and pepper and saute on medium heat until translucent.
- Turn heat to high and add orzo stirring until it turns golden brown (don’t walk away, this happens quickly)
- Have water ready to pour in as soon as orzo gets light brown (it burns quickly so 30 seconds could burn it!)
- Bring water to boil (use a small spoon to test water for salt and adjust if needed – be careful it’s hot!)
- Add rice and bring back to boil
- Cover and put into paper bag, then wrap the bag closed (see video)
- Wrap with thin blanket, then the thick blanket
- Set aside for at least one hour
- Unwrap and fluff rice with fork (Again, being careful it’s HOT!)
*Note: I am a participant of the Amazon.com associates program. This is an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I have personally purchased or researched all of the products linked and will not suggest a product otherwise. By purchasing through these links you support this Mini Slice of Farm blog without any extra cost to you and allow us to continue posting great content for you. Thank you for your support!!