Home Forums Canning Canning

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      minisliceoffarmminisliceoffarm
      Keymaster

Feel free to ask your canning questions here 🙂

purplejarJared
      Keymaster

I’ll kick this one off. What are you canning this week? We’ve got a bunch of freshly picked pears to put up
      Pears

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by purplejarJared.
        AhavaAhava
        Participant

Looking for recipes to can peaches. Anyone have something exciting to try?

RedheadmamaRedheadmama
        Participant

We were able to pick up pineapple on sale, so I made —Pineapple Carrot Orange marmalade
        —Pineapple Upside Down jam
        —Pineapple Jam
        —Pineapple scrap jelly

They turned out delicious! They will definitely become annual pantry staples for us!

I’ve been noticing several neighbors with fruits growing in their yards that just go to rot. Do you think it would be too rude or weird to knock on their doors and ask if I could pick some and share with them what I’m able to can from it?

purplejarJared
        Keymaster

Never hurts to ask. Don’t point out that you noticed they’re letting it rot when you ask.

MullersLaneFarmMullersLaneFarm
        Participant

Knocking on the doors of your neighbors and asking about the fruit on their trees is an awesome idea in more ways than one!

• You may meet new friends
        You may brighten the day of an older person / SAHM / shut in
        You help keep that neighbors yard clean from fallen fruit.
      • Pick up fallen fruit as a way of saying thank you. It helps them by keeping the yard looking clean, keeps the varmints away and you can cut & use the fruit in scrap vinegars or cider.

We have a lot of Asian Pears left in the tree that I wish I could share with someone.

jennrz4jennrz4
    Participant

Great fun! I have a bunch of roasted hatch chiles from my mother in law to can up this week. ❤️

minisliceoffarmminisliceoffarm
      Keymaster

@jennrz4 roasted hatch chiles sounds delicious ? I’ve never tried them! How do you use them?

jennrz4jennrz4
      Participant

So sorry for the delayed response. I use them for anything you would normally use canned green chilies for. Green Chile & Chicken casserole is a family favorite. Also use them in soups, chili beans, breads, etc.

MullersLaneFarmMullersLaneFarm
    Participant

Last week was corn, grape juice & green beans. This week is more grape juice & green beans.

The paprika peppers are ripening so they’ll be roasted, skinned and into the smoke house and then dehydrated and ground!

Tomatoes are being harvested, washed & cored and then frozen until this winter when there is more time to be made into various sauces.

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.