It’s been a snowy cold start to the year!! So we decided to warm up with some hot coco and homemade marshmallows. Made with grass fed beef gelatin that is great for your skin, hair, digestion and joints, these little treats are much better than the bagged puffs of oil and sugar from the store. Here is how we made them …
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 Tbs unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (learn how to make your own here)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Stand mixer or large bowl and hand mixer
- parchment lined baking dish or silicone baking mat
- medium pot
- candy thermometer
- In your mixing bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/2 of the water and set aside
- In the sauce pot, mix together the other 1/2 of the water, the maple syrup and the salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to med-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 238F.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour the syrup over the gelatin then add the vanilla extract. Next, turn the mixer up to medium high (as high as you can go without making a mess). Whip the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy and turns white (it will look like marshmallow cream). This will take 5-10 minutes.
- Now, working quickly, scrape the marshmallow from the bowl onto the silicone mat and shape into a rectangle about 1″ thick. Allow the marshmallow to dry until it is set enough to cut into squares (about 4 hours). It will be sticky. You can sprinkle your cutting board with powdered sugar, cornstarch or arrow root to make it a little easier to work with.
- If you are going to store the marshmallows we suggest sprinkling them with powdered sugar so they don’t stick together, or you can dehydrate them for long term storage.
|^^To pin this recipe for later click here^^|
*Note: I am a participant of the Amazon.com associates program. This is an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I have personally purchased or researched all of the products linked and will not suggest a product otherwise. By purchasing through these links you support this Mini Slice of Farm blog without any extra cost to you and allow us to continue posting great content for you. Thank you for your support!!